MY FIRST LITERARY FESTIVAL

There was a time when I was a workshop junky. I enjoyed learning new skills in informal settings. Spring time and Autumn would see me thumbing through new short courses from acting, to radio, mosaic to crochet. January when most people would want to start the new year with a new hobby was off limits for me, I am in hibernation mode until the clock goes forward. 

Then, here it was, the City & Guilds 7307 Teaching Adult Education course I never knew I needed. It came easy to me as a seasoned candidate of this way of learning, I was aware of the do's and don'ts. Armed with my certificate it was inevitable that I would facilitate workshops myself. I did a media TEFL one to start with, a regular young adult media workshop and more recently safe guarding young people on social media. 

When my publisher was invited to run a writers workshop for Pikes Literary Festival in Ibiza, I was asked to present a mini workshop as an emerging fiction writer on the MT Ink label (nonfiction, biographies). 

I jumped at the chance - it was in Ibiza after all! At Pikes Hotel (of 'Club Tropicano' video fame). I was intimidated to be in legendary author company. Check out the flyer, I cannot name drop. 

I was on the panel for the first one and ran a workshop for the second - it had been a great experience and the feedback was tremendous. Then the pandemic. All change. I had just organised a writers workshop to take place nr Portobello Road, but that pandemic got in the way of my chosen venue. 

I will be back. The scheme of work, itinerary is all set. I guess it will have to be Zoom or Teams. I have to admit I over indulged on virtual courses - very focused this time around, only literary ones. The platforms have been excellent for delivering the workshop as we know it. I especially like the 'camera off' listen only setting when I wasn't feeling particularly sociable, but didn't want to miss out. Almost enhanced the experience so much so that I might just sign up for a January class next time. 

Do keep an eye out on https://Facebook.com/JaqiLoyeBrownAuthor for updates on when I will deliver some workshops for aspiring writers. A passion I truly believe in. Everybody has a book in them. 

Share:

Post a Comment

Copyright © PORTOBELLO NOVELLA. Designed by OddThemes